- A squad carrying a crown is twice as strong during a fight.
- A squad carrying gold is half as strong when fighting.
- A squad on higher ground (hill or mountain) or in a castle will have an advantage when fighting.
- Squads fighting in water have a disadvantage.
- The side with the most men in a fight will have the advantage and lose the least number of men.
- Bring additional squads to a fight to increase your odds of winning.
- When they have a choice, the enemy will try to fight the weakest squad that they see.
- Some flags, crowns and gold can be carried by squads and others cannot.
- Squads grow tired when they are moving. Stop a squad and its condition will improve (except in the desert, swamp or water). Stop a squad in a village, city or castle and its condition will improve faster.
- A squad carrying a crown can travel farther without tiring.
- A squad carrying gold tires faster when traveling.
- A squad will lose men if you force it to move when it is very tired.
- A squad with orders to run will grow tired quickly.
- In general, squads will lose men when crossing mountains and water. The amount of danger varies with each mission.
- Squads move half as fast through forest as they do fields.
- Enemy squads can move faster in forest than your squads.
- Squads move 1/4 as fast through hills as they do fields.
- Squads move 1/10 as fast through water and mountains as they do fields.
- Enemy squads are not seen when they are in the forest unless they are very close to one of your squads.
- Enemy squads are not seen in cities unless they are moving or very close to one of your squads.
- Men may be added to any squads inside a castle. If all squads in the castle are full, a new squad will be created.
- A castle will turn dark when it cannot supply any more men.
- If the castle is under siege, all squads in the castle will slowly lose condition and will stop gaining men. A castle is under siege when an opposing squad is near the castle walls. A castle will have a red tint when it is under siege.
- If a mission requires that squads bring all of a specified item to a location to win, all of those items must be carried by squads. An item at the correct location that is not carried by a squad does not count.